Shelter Training & Simulation
April 20 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
The American Red Cross of North Florida is hosting a Shelter Fundamentals and Simulation event on Sat., April 20 at starting at 9:00AM (the length of class is TBD.) The event will be held at the Clyde L. Gracey Community Center, 5629 Byrom St. in Milton. Potential evacuation shelter volunteers, observers, and partners are welcome to attend by registering online.
The first hour of the event will be the shelter fundamentals portion for partners and community members to:
- Understand the Red Cross philosophy and principles of sheltering
- Identify client needs
- Describe different types of shelters
- Identify how an evacuation shelter is structured and operates
- Understand the activities and tasks that take place in shelters
- Understand the types of work shelter workers will perform and how to do it
The shelter simulation portion will provide practical experience on how to conduct various tasks required to maintain a functioning shelter. It will also expose participants to the types of situations they may encounter. The simulation is a good opportunity for participants to practice skills, discuss ways to handle situations that may arise, promote teamwork and reinforce understanding of shelter needs while in operation.
For more information about the event contact Kelly Banks, Disaster Program Manager, at 850-602-9339.